Here’s another dish that’s great for family get-togethers that will have people clamoring for the recipe. A mix between savory and sweet, this double-duty casserole can be served as a side dish and also satisfies a sweet tooth. Also, if you feel like simplifying things, go ahead and use canned sweet potatoes/yams; it saves time and tastes just as good. After trying this, you’ll be racking your brains for more ways to use those delicious sweet potatoes!
Sweet Potato Casserole
1 hour to prepare
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes, 5-6 medium sweet potatoes
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk (low-fat optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and butter a 9x13 baking dish.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot of water and boil until tender. Allow to cool and remove skin. Dice into 1-1 1/2 inch cubes
- In a large bowl, mix or mash potatoes and add sugars, evaporated milk, eggs, butter, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Mix well and pour into baking dish.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine all “Topping” ingredients. Mix well to make sure everything is incorporated. Spread topping evenly on top of sweet potato mixture.
- Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and crispy. Optional: place under broiler for 30 seconds until top is bubbling. Allow 10 minutes to cool and serve hot.
Recipe adapted fromA Sweet Pea Chef