Looking for a new way to spruce up your chicken dishes? So many people rely on chicken as a way to get their serving of protein–it’s lean and you’ve got a never-ending amount of ways you can change things up!–but sometimes we fall into a rut and start repeating the same dishes we’ve had so many times before.
This dish is one of our favorites, as it’s tasty and serves us an extra dose of veggies almost without our even realizing it. Since the greens go with the chicken and are all wrapped in like a little present, whoever’s joining you for dinner is getting a very healthy and well-balanced meal. If you want to add a little extra flavor and/or creaminess, you’re welcome to add some feta or ricotta cheese to the greens before you wrap up your chicken. Spruce this bird up however you like, just remember to keep it in mind when you want something that’s tasty and good for you!
Veggie Stuffed Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 (10 oz.) package fresh spinach leaves
- 8 oz. green beans, ends removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Set up a bowl of ice and set aside.
- Once water is boiling, add green beans and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until bright green.
- Remove from water and transfer to ice bath immediately to prevent further cooking.
- Roughly chop green beans into small pieces, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Take each chicken breast half and place between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Use a meat mallet (or other heavy object) to pound out the meat to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan and, once hot, add spinach, seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Sauté spinach until wilted, then add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add spinach and garlic to green beans and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange flattened chicken breasts in front of you with the narrowest end nearest you and place about 1/4 vegetable mixture in the center of each breast.
- Roll the small end away from you and wrap up the chicken and green beans and spinach. Secure with toothpicks or butcher’s twine.
- Heat remaining olive oil in original frying pan and, once oil is hot but not burned, add chicken rolls to pan.
- Cook chicken on each side for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown, then transfer to an oven-safe dish and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until chicken is completely cooked through but still moist.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from ChowWhizzco