Super Food Mexican Quinoa Saladchalc3d0ny
Mexican food is one of those things that we don’t think we’ll ever tire of. There’s so much variety and so many different ways to spice up (pun intended) different dishes, that we never get bored! However, while we love tucking into a hearty dish, replete with rice and refried beans, we know that it’s not necessarily something we should be diving into. That’s why we decided to try our hand at whipping up the same Mexican flavors we love with something healthier (and gluten-free): quinoa.
This dish is easy one pot, yay! and absolutely delicious. Plus, it has all the health and nutrition benefits of fresh veggies and the Mayan super food, quinoa, that’s packed with iron, magnesium, calcium and fiber, among many other things. This dish is one of our new favorites and we have a feeling you’ll be saying the same thing after trying it enjoy!
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or canned)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, optional, diced
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and sautÈ onion until softened. 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant, then add quinoa, beans and corn.
- Pour in vegetable broth and stir together.
- Season with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and let simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until quinoa is tender, but still al dente, and liquid is mostly absorbed.
- Stir lime juice into quinoa and add tomatoes, avocado (optional) and cilantro.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious