Hearty Chicken And Rice Soupchalc3d0ny
While we don’t always think of soup as being a main course, or the main event of the meal, we’re always pleasantly surprised when it pulls its weight and fills us up! This yummy chicken and rice soup does just that, it has great flavor and really keeps us going. Plus, it’s full of fresh veggies, so we full good knowing that it’s good for us and giving us a really healthy serving of all the important nutrients our body needs! If you want a soup that’s just as good as an entree as it is a side dish, this one is not to be missed; it’ll warm you up and keep you going strong!
Chicken And Rice Soup
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth or homemade chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup long-grain white (or brown) rice
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, chopped
- 2 chicken breast halves, fat trimmed and skin removed
- 2 whole chicken legs (and thighs), fat trimmed and skin removed
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stick rosemary
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven and saute carrots, onion and celery until softened. About 10 minutes.
- Pour chicken stock and water pot and add chicken, rice, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaf and rosemary.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30-40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and rice is tender.
- Using tongs, remove bay leaf and chicken to a platter and let cool 5 minutes. Add in chopped kale.
- Cut chicken off the bone and into small pieces or use two forks to shred. Discard bones.
- Return chicken to pot and cook for another 5-10 minutes, or until kale is wilted.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Whole Foods Market